Bracebridge Heath owes its existence to the aircraft construction industry; several manufacturers had factories in Lincoln. One of these were Robey and Company whose factory was located on Canwick Road. In order to test their aircraft the company acquired land at Bracebridge Heath, east of the A15 and erected a large shed and a drawing office. The site became known as Robey’s Aerodrome.
In late 1916 the aerodrome was taken over by the War Office and enlarged to 125 acres, the site now becoming Aircraft Acceptance Park (AAP). The role of AAP was to test and accept into service aircraft built by various Lincoln companies, which included Handley Pages 0/400s and Sopwith Camels.
Towards the end of 1917 and early part of 1918, seven large hangars were erected which were designed for use by the new Royal Air Force which would come into being on 1 April 1918.
The site was used in WWII as a repair and salvage depot operated by A V Roe (Avro). Following the war Avro, now absorbed into British Aerospace, continued to use parts of the site until September 1982.
Today, some of the original 1917 aeroplane sheds can still be seen, re-clad and adapted for other uses. A WWII B1 Type hangar is also existent.
Map: Bracebridge Heath