Brattleby was originally the site of a WWI aerodrome established in December 1916 and originally used by ‘A’ Flight 33 (HD) Squadron. Following their departure the site took on a training role, eventually becoming 34 Training Depot Station (34 TDS). The aerodrome eventually expanded to cover 287 acres. Following the end of the war Brattleby closed and by 1920 most of the hangars were gone.
The site was surveyed as a possible airfield site under the expansion schemes of the mid-1930s and on 27 August 1936 the site reopened as RAF Scampton.