Kite balloon bases for naval reconnaissance were established at various coastal locations, including Immingham, following naval experiments culminating in the successful sinking of U-boat 69 in 1917. The area chosen was on property belonging to the Great Central Railway and in November 1917, work commenced to erect two balloon sheds and 12 huts. The site was named No.8 Kite Balloon Base and became operational at the beginning of 1918. The base had four balloons and utilised two vessels for towing purposes. The unit was operational until the end the war and was finally disbanded in April 1919. Following closure, the 26 acre (10 ha) site was returned to its former use and today forms part of a large container complex at Immingham Docks.