Kirmington, just south of the A18, south west of Kirmington village, was a 1 Group airfield built during 1941-42. Its three intersecting concrete runways were initially shorter than the standard Class ‘A’ configuration but extended prior to opening.
The technical site was on the north-east and dispersed communal and accommodation sites were beyond this, in and around Kirmington Village. The bomb stores were to the south and the airfield were connected to the perimeter track by a series of dispersals.
RAF Kirmington officially opened in October 1942, although it had been used during construction by Oxfords from 15 (P) AFU (Advanced Flight Unit (Pilots)), based at Leconfield, East Yorkshire.
During October 1942, 150 Squadron arrived from Snaith, East Yorkshire, with their Wellington bombers. Part of the squadron and its aircraft were destined for Algeria and left for Blida on 19 December 1942, leaving the remainder of 150 Squadron at Kirmington. On the same day, the remainder of 142 Squadron also arrived at Kirmington from Waltham (13 Wellingtons from 142 Squadron had already departed to Algeria). On 27 January, the two squadrons combined to reform 166 Squadron. This squadron operated from Kirmington with Wellingtons and later Lancasters to the end of the war, disbanding 18 November 1945.
Following the end of WWII the airfield was abandoned, gradually returning to agriculture. In 1966 the old airfield was chosen for devleopment into a civil airport. Over the years it has been rebuilt and extended – known today as Humberside International Airport.
In Kirmington village is a memorial to 166 Squadron with a recovered Lancaster propeller blade as a feature. Outside the airport terminal is a Northern Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage information (Pic: Flickr member: Ian D B)