Lincoln West Common
West Common Racecourse was used for testing aircraft during WWI. Pic Credit: Tristram Field
Due to the continuing importance of Lincoln as an aeroplane manufacturing city it was decided in early 1915, to build an Aircraft Acceptance Park close to the city in order to test the new aircraft.
As a result 129 acres (52 ha) of the west Common racecourse was utilised and became Number 4 Aircraft Acceptance Park (4 AAP).
Throughout the war many different types of aircraft were test flown from the aerodrome which, by the end of the hostilities, boasted four permanent hangars and five Bessonneau hangars.