A small flying field was established to the east of the Lincoln aircraft factory of Clayton and Shuttleworth on the River Witham. In 1917 the firm won a contract to build Handley Page 0/400 aircraft and these were flown out of the field to the nearby West Common for testing. (Pic: Wag Schofield).
The Sopwith Camel responsible for shooting down German flying ace, the Red Baron, Manfred von Richthofen was built here.
Following the end of WWI no further aircraft were manufactured at the factory and no further flying took place from the field.