The earliest recorded aerodrome for the Royal Naval Air Service opened at Skegness in 1914. By August it was occupied by Eastchurch (Mobile) Squadron, the first RNAS unit to be formed in preparation for service with the British Expeditionary Force in France. The unit’s stay was very brief. The squadron was renamed No.3 Squadron RNAS and by the end of 1914 the aerodrome had closed.
The site of Skegness (Burgh Road) aerodrome is now occupied by housing.