Tydd St Mary
Tydd St Mary was a Class 1 Landing Ground which utilised an existing farm complex including some of the buildings. The location of the 125 acre (50 ha) site was adjacent to the south side of South Holland Main Drain. The landing ground was used by ‘B’ Flight 51 (HD) Squadron from the summer of 1916 and in August 1917 it was upgraded to full aerodrome status. The aerodrome was closed in May 1919 following the departure of 51 Squadron.
One of the two hangars survived until the night of 15-16 October 1987, when hurricane-like winds swept through the UK, the base of this hangar can still be seen.
Map: Tydd St Mary